Can't backup to floppy

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Mon Sep 19 08:25:04 AEST 1988

+---- In <1716 at ddsw1.UUCP> Karl Denninger writes:
| +---- In <913 at cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS>, Will Nelson writes:
| | MICOM-Interlan NP626,
| | Locus Merge
| | That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
| | up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.
| +----
| I see.
|
| The "solution" which was found is a non-solution.  What we're talking about
| here is a simple failure of QC.
| 	Is this the _new_ version of DOSMERGE that Mr. Plocher said wouldn't
| 	ship until _all_ the bugs were out, and it _worked_?
+----

#define SARCASM

You don't really "see", though.  You just jump in and complain.
Without knowing *anything* about version numbers and configuration
specifics.  I *really* could use someone like you on my support staff,
able to diagnose problems in a single bound without knowing what the
problem really was!
And, no, he doesn't have V/386 3.0e/DM 1.1.

#undef SARCASM

Writing to a floppy from the console has been tested with the following
(non-exhaustive) list of system configurations:  (All of them passed)

	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A Pre-V1.0
	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0
	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.0
	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0
	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.1

Since I have not talked to Mr Nelson yet, I can't say what his problem is.
I can say, though, that it is *not* because of a lack of QC for 3.0e and DM 1.1.

>Karl Denninger

  -John Plocher