V/AT Text Preparation/Jetroff

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Thu Sep 22 00:08:52 AEST 1988

In article <152 at carpet.WLK.COM> I wrote
+ Has anyone used Microport V/AT troff to produce manual pages?  If so,
+ did they appear to come out right?  Which post-processor did you use?

In article <476 at uport.UUCP>, jmsully at uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) replies:
| I've used the -man macros with troff and devps to produce man pages for
| UNaXcess, rn, news 2.11 as well as my own man pages and have never
| experienced any problems with it...
|
| Since I have collected jetroff, perhaps I should try printing up the pages
| using this combination here.
|
| John M. Sully

I appreciate John's prompt and encouraging reply.   I suspect that since
he has used the ps post-processor and gotten good results, that one works.
I'm eager to hear how it works out with JetRoff because I have verified
the results with two different systems and got the same result, i.e. the
uPort troff lops off the top the other troff doesn't.  I also tried sending
the troff output to the other system (my troff is Microport) and he got
the same result.  It seems unlikely that the JetRoff post-processor is doing
the surgery because the same troff source through Textware's DWB and JetRoff
produces the desired result.  This one's a puzzle and John seems to have the
key.

BTW John, you can't run the make as he sends it, make chokes on cd and the
other make, but if you do it a piece at a time and use -Ml it goes together
without a whimper.  The $64K question is ---  what if you get the same
result that we did, who dun it?  Who's going to do what about it?  Since
Rick specifically calls out DWB 2.0 and V/AT DWB is 1.0 could that be the
problem?
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill