V/AT Text Preparation/Jetroff

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Fri Sep 23 12:05:02 AEST 1988

In article <580 at pcrat.UUCP> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <154 at carpet.WLK.COM> bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
[ deleting what I wrote ]

>I only called out 2.0 because thats what every troff user *should* have,

Sure Rick, and JetRoff isn't as cute unless you have the new pic and grap,
but it's not what I have (and I don't mean to suggest that Microport
promoted it as anything other than what I have.  There was an implied (by
me) thought that it functioned correctly, but they didn't promote as such
or imply that it does...)  I was groping for some obscure hook or handle
that would explain why the same source can be puches through Elan, Textware,
or Xenix and produce the desired result but through Microport it's missing
vital parts and includes extraneous parts.

>If I were John, I'd listen to the V/AT customers who've clamored
>for 2.0 for awhile now, and get somebody to compile it up on the 286.
>Its gotta be easier than trying to find, fix, and placate the people
>who have 1.0.  And looky here, if you really have b*lls, you can charge
>'em a 'small' upgrade fee. :-(

Darn it!  That gets my goat!  I have gotten my money's worth out of V/AT
DWB because I started with an AT&T PC 6300 PLUS and Microport was the only
game in town for nroff (note, not troff).  I have consistently recommended
it to the 6300 PLUS mailing list.  I'm not grousing about "a 'small' upgrade
fee" from 1.0 to 2.0, that's justified and reasonable.  I'm bitching because
I have once again bought defective product.  I'll qualify that...  The same
troff source breezes through three other vendors' troff without a hitch,
what am I supposed to think?

I said I got my money's worth and indeed I have.  I have no complaint with
what I paid for DWB 1.0, nor with what I wanted it to do (I had no troff
capable output device).  I'm wailing because, once again (and I am personally
starting to think `as usual') I didn't get something that works as advertised.
I'm as weary of complaining about it as the rest of you are about reading
about it and Microport is about ignoring it.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill