DWB 2.0, HP Laser Jet II

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 21:19:11 AEST 1988

In article <230 at ssbn.WLK.COM> bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
 >Has anyone gotten Microport DWB 2.0 to work with an HP Laser Jet Series II
 >printer and font cartridges?  I know that they say there are optional
 >drivers for the LJ, does anyone have them?  Do they work?  Will they work
 >with font cartridges?  Properly?  By that I mean bold, underscore, italics,
 >etc.

There are a number of commercial products out there which will do that.
We are using TPLUS, from  Textware in Cambridge, Mass. (textware!brent),
and it drives not only our LaserJets but also our Compugraphics typesetter.
Elan is a similar product. Both of them actually are POSTPROCESSORS for
ditroff; as far as I know, both of them will support both cartridge and
downloaded fonts.

If you need something non-commercial (i.e. inexpensive), Rick Richardson
has sent his JetRoff to Brandon, and it should appear in comp.sources.misc
starting around Sept. 6. Haven't seen it, but Rick's claims sure sound
enticing.

 >Is there a similar companion for their V/AT product?  I have a '286 with
 >V/AT (and DWB 1.0 for it) and a '386 with AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1 (which should
 >be binary compatible with Microport) and would like to use the LJ-II.

I am sure both Textware's TPLUS and Elan's EROFF are available both for the
286 as wellas the 386; we're using TPLUS on 286, so I know that is available.
Both TPLUS and EROFF provide their own port of DWB 2.0 ditroff, btw., so
they should be the same on 286 and 386.

 >There are two other alternatives, eroff and Word Perfect, but I've become
 >brainwashed to nroff/troff commands.  Thanks,

Of course EROFF, as well as TPLUS and presumably JetRoff, use troff commands
on the input side. They then take the troff ouput and massage it into
compatibility with the LaserJet.

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD