386/ix direct sales -- okay?

Mark Lawrence mark at drd.UUCP
Thu Sep 8 06:06:36 AEST 1988

Can't comment on their $99 deal (other than they specifically state they
will only do it if you plan to sell more than 100 copies of your
application under their OS next year) but I can comment on their
response.

I'm responsible for planning upgrades from our DOS developement
environment into a networked Unix environment, retaining DOS development
support, of course.  I sent nearly identical faxes to ISC, Uport and SCO
asking a series of questions that I was concerned about (whether they had
TCP/IP, whether it would work with the ethernet boards I already had,
whether they supported NFS, X11R2, and so on.)  Uport got back to me
within an hour with a technically literate and enthusiastic salesperson.
SCO got back to me within a day.  They both sent packages of propoganda.
I haven't heard a hoot from ISC (Been over a week now).

My feeling:  if this is how they go after prospective sales, how do they
support post sales?

Gotta say, though, that their ads ("Sock it to me, Brian") are kinda
cute, tho Brian must be on an ego trip.

						Mark

--
 5506 South Lewis                    |   [uunet!apctrc,romed,tulsun]!drd!mark
 Tulsa, Ok 74105       (918)664-9010 |       mlawrence at jarsun1.ZONE1.COM