uport's new SysV/AT 'vi'--What does it do?

Bruce A. Kern bak at csd-v.UUCP
Sun Sep 11 23:53:15 AEST 1988

In article <202 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <449 at fallst.UUCP> tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>>If you're a validated Microport BBS user, with a registered serial number,
>>the BBS will allow you to download a new 'vi' editor for System V/AT.
>
>The major bug with the older version of vi is that ...
	[ two bugs described ].
>The new vi fixes those bugs.

How about the bug that if you try to use wild cards or exported shell variables
in ex mode vi doesn't find any matches. e.g.:

:e *
No match

and

:e $HOME/.profile
No match

I know this works in other versions of vi ( V/68 and Venix for instance ).
I find it quite annoying.

Notice however that the shell will still match these from within vi, e.g.:

:!ls $HOME/.p*
/usr/bak/.pnewsexpert
/usr/bak/.profile
--
Bruce A. Kern                                  1-203-270-0399
Computer Systems Design                        Voice: 730 - 1700 Mon. thru Fri.