using an above board's serial port

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sat Sep 3 13:25:01 AEST 1988

In article <451 at uport.UUCP> plocher at uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>and run ttypatch to tell the system what you have done.
>
>In general, IRQ lines *can not* be shared across boards.
>
>    -John Plocher

That reminds me of a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time.

Can one configure the vanilla V/AT 2.3 (or later) driver to use four serial
ports which correspond to COM1-COM4 under DOS 3.3 (and earlier extensions)?

Usually they are set up as follows:

Board 1:       First port is  COM1, IRQ 4, Address 0x3f8
			   Second port is COM2, IRQ 3, Address 0x2f8

Board 2:       First port is  COM3, IRQ 4, Address 0x3e8
			   Second port is COM4, IRQ 3, Address 0x2e8

This would be using standard AT I/O cards using either of the two standard
uarts.

If not (and anyway :-) --
Stuart Lynne, are you listening? When is your driver going to be ready?
Will it support this type of configuration?
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD