make(1)

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.UUCP
Mon Aug 7 07:00:31 AEST 1989

Am I the only person in the world who thinks that make(1) should be compiled
so that '-d' works?  Does no one else have enough memory or commit obscure
errors that would be illuminated by `make -nd`?  `Make -p` just is not enough
for my mistakes.

I guessed history was a good enough reason make(1) was built small in Microport
3.0e.  Finding the same restriction in ISC 2.0.2 has made me wonder if someone
at AT&T is asleep at the helm.  (Presumably, ISC just uses cmd/make/make.mk
as it comes from New Jersey.)

Vernon Schryver
vjs at calcite.uucp   or   ...{pyramid,sgi}!sgi!calcite!vjs