V/AT 2.4 w/DTC 7287 controller

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Wed Jan 11 01:13:57 AEST 1989

I need some help getting V/AT 2.4 installed.  The installation
instructions say to use the DTC BIOS to initialize the RLL drive
and I did that.  The instructions are silent about any mapping
options so I took the defaults.

In particular I can not get the fdisk to work.  Regardless of
whether or not I have a DOS partition or how many UNIX partitions
I set up, fdisk always claims that the partition table is wrong and
clears it.  DOS fdisk seems to be able to use the one set up by
Microport but Microport can't.

The installation instructions are pretty sketchy with regard to how
to handle the DTC controller, so here are my questions:

Should I select a mapping option in the first invocation of the
initializer?  If so, is it option 1 (Novell, spoof to 17spt) or
2 ( drive <= 250Mb)?

Is there some/any magic to making fdisk behave on a drive with
1314 cyl, 7 heads, 25 sectors/track (1 spare per Microport install)?

How do you keep fdisk from clearing the partition table?  It also
appears that if fdisk doesn't, then divvy will.  If I make the UNIX
partition active before I create it [sic] I can get to divvy...
Many thanks for any/all help,
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM