286->386SX ENIX(UNIX) and DOS

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 13:41:15 AEST 1989

Does anybody know how generic Everex's Enix port of Sys V is?  I've
set up SCO Xenix and Microport's V/AT on a number of systems and
have been bitten by disk controller cards a couple of times and an
EGA card on one occasion.

I strongly suggest that you look at what hardware you've got,
especially the hard disk controller and video board, then call the
vendor to find out if their kernel can be configured to support
what you have.  Unix variant kernels may write directly into the
registers of the hard disk controller chip.  If you have some sort
of RLL, SCSI, or other drive, you may be S.O.L. because the msdos
ROM BIOS (for obvious reasons) isn't there to hide whatever
vulgarities may be present in the controller card once the boot
record has been read in.  I hope their phone support is as willing
and able as was suggested in the original posting; without the
manuals, they'll surely have calls.

I'd be just about ready to whip out my check book if the text
processing stuff including troff and friends are there for $299.
That would be quite a good value.  I'm skeptical though about
getting troff, as AT&T seems to have split that part of the
documentors workbench off of the standard Unix development kit.
There are a number of vendors (Elan, Softquad, etc) that have troff
and HP laser support separately.  I haven't seen a troff package
that looked real enticing for less than ~$400 (US) yet.

It'll be interesting to hear more about Enix.  The price is right,
and it has a reasonably big marketer behind it.

--Bill
  return mail path:  wtm at impulse.UUCP
                     ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm