Dropping DTR?

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Mon Jan 23 02:32:57 AEST 1989

In article <362 at cocktrice.UUCP> mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>Does anyone have a fancy trick for lowering DTR going to a modem attached
>to tty0? I have my modem set up to auto answer, however there are times
>that I do not want the modem to answer the phone.

I timeshare a line for voice (daytime) and data (nightime).  What I
do is to leave getty running all the time.  But, twice a day, I
have cron fire off a program which sends the turn on/off auto answer
sequence to the modem.  The program, of course, obeys the same
locking protocol as UUCP, so that there won't be any conflicts.

This works well, and since the modem has non-volatile memory I
don't have to worry what state the modem is in should the power
fail.

Come to think of it, you could probably come up with a solution
which involved only a special Dialer type and two phony System
entries.  The UUCP Poll file would fire off a "call" to
the phony systems to turn on/off the autoanswer.  No programming
necessary.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2