Enix doesn't work with my 300 MB disk (*sigh*)

Steve Neighorn neighorn at qiclab.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 07:03:43 AEST 1989

In article <381 at intek01.UUCP> mark at intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>But I have a 380 MB ESDI drive (CDC 94186-383H + DTC 6280 controller)
>with 1224 cylinders, and Enix only recognizes 1024.  Not only that, it
>keeps bad a SECTOR table and not a bad TRACK table, and there can be

My experience with SYS V Release 3.2 is that it won't support more than
1024 cylinders without doing some sort of logical sector remapping. Now
there may be versions from certain vendors that do support > 1024 cylinders,
but the Bell Technologies 3.2 I have used will not. Some ESDI controllers
will allow you to convert 1224 cylinders x 15 heads x 36 sectors per track
into 654 cylinders x 16 heads x 63 sectors per track. The Western Digital
1007 ESDI controller and the Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller both have this
ability.

Also, the number of bad sectors you reported for your drive is very high,
even for a big ESDI drive. I complained when I got a Maxtor 4380 drive
with just under 90 flaws. You might run into the problem with the disk
scanner running out of slots regardless of what version of 3.2 Unix you
get. You might try checking with your vendor about swapping the drive
with one that has a few less errors. MSDOS doesn't care about errors,
so they should be able to resell the drive.... Good luck!
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the