286 serial port woes

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sun Jan 22 02:17:56 AEST 1989

In article <13736 at ico.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>In article <11871 at netsys.COM>, len at netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>> I am evaluating V/AT 2.4 on an 8 mhz clone 286 with 1 meg
>> of ram. Can't reliably sustain a uucp transfer at speeds
>> greater than 2400 baud...
>What can you do about it?  For one, get some good serial hardware...

A strong second to that. I've been happy with Digiboard's intelligent
multiport serial cards, but have had some kernel crashes when using
modem control and I'm not sure that the latter has been fully ironed out
yet.  Also, DGB doesn't yet support shell layering for their intelligent
controller.  If modem control and/or shell layering are important to you
(neither is relevant if you use card only for call-out) then look
into Arnet or (gasp!) Bell. Beware that much of the complaints about
the latter's support and responsiveness are true... yet the hardware
products are solid and the associated drivers (though possibly not
supported, at least for uport unix) are also good. The support problem
is that Bell, now that it fancies itself a unix house as well,
won't promise support or compatibility for future uport releases.

--
Norman Kohn   (...ddsw1!nvk!norman)
eves: 373-0564