Floppy formatting and using

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 16:15:36 AEST 1989

In article <136 at cbw1.UUCP> brian at cbw1.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) writes:
>Actually, there is a way for the uport driver and format routine to handle
>bad sectors on floppies.  Instead of having 15 usable sectors per track, you
>only use 14.  This leaves one sector per track for alternate mapping.

But then people would complain about losing 80 KB per floppy, even if
there are no bad sectors on it.

I recently swapped my floppy with one I had in a DOS-only machine, and most
of my floppy problems went away. The drive which was giving me trouble
under UNIX works just fine under DOS, where timing is not as crucial.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD