Floppy formatting and using

william vajk learn at igloo.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 00:57:55 AEST 1989

In article <43 at ushiva.UUCP>, raw at ushiva.UUCP (Roland Wilcher) writes:

> Looks like the uport stuff can't deal with bad sectors on the floppy.
> Also appears that the uport format program does not detect the bad
> sectors either.
> comments ?

If one follows the instructions included with runtime, one does a
format, a labelit, and an mkfs. None of these added features are
needed to make a cpio backup, and result in a LOT of wasted time.

Running the other two does, somewhere in the sequence (I can't recall
where cause I stopped doing it) identify a read or write error. Hell,
they could have at least included a bell. On the other hand, they
could have done it right.

Bill Vajk                     | A person of quality is never intimidated.
learn at igloo                   |