DTR Doesn't Go Away And They Know

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.FSC.COM
Sat Jan 28 09:31:08 AEST 1989

In article <364 at cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:

> It looks like those of us with '286 boxes will have to wait for(ever?) a
> long time before we can get solutions to problems that we may have. The
> resources at Microport seem to be focused on the '386 world, and they have
> problems diverting attention to support the products which they already
> have in the field.

You know, this sounds an awful lot like Altos.  Our last OS upgrade (which
still had problems) for the 286 machines was 3.4b and it was over 18 months
ago (probably more).  Since then, Altos has released some 386 machines with
versions of Xenix SysV and Unix System V that I've heard really work!  It
would seem that vendors would like to build customer loyalty by providing
these new versions on the older machines also.  But what actually seems to be
the case is that they try to promote customer loyalty by forcing you to
upgrade to new hardware (which we don't need) in order to get newer versions
of the OS (which we DO need).

--jim