DTR Doesn't Go Away And They Know

william vajk learn at igloo.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 05:43:28 AEST 1989

In article <364 at cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:

> I got off the phone with one of Microport's support techs about the DTR
> not dropping properly when a getty exits. The short story is that this is
> a bug which will get fixed "some day."

They fixed something, and broke another in the proceedure. While 1.3.8 had
more severe driver problems, it did handle DTR correctly so far as dropping
getty was concerned.

> It would be nice if the Microport management could assign resources to fix
> problems which are reported. If the resources do not exist, then it should
> be easy to justify budgeting to address the resource shortage just from the
> amount of unhappy people which post to this newsgroup. I would imagine that
> there are a few people in the world which would be interested in tackling
> the problems which seem to plague this news group (serial ports included).

Microport is doing exactly what any corporation does, maximizing profits.
This is being done without any regard to moral obligations to those who
bought their products in good faith and based on salesman's promises.

I've suffered for over two years now with this particularly brain damaged
OS, and will shortly be upgrading to '386. I have some mixed emotions
about throwing all my distribution floppies and manuals for VAT into
a bonfire, attended by past and present igloo users. Actually, I'll
probably offer it for sale at a greatly reduced price, hopeing that
there's some masochist out there. Given my honest opinion and honest
nature, it will be a difficult sale to make. I won't dignify any
offer of an upgrade with a trade in with a moment's thought.

And if anyone from microport is reading, take note : YOU WON'T BE
SEEING AN ORDER FOR 386 FROM ME. Past performance is the best
measure for future expectations.

[This space was originally reserved for a statement of contempt
 for microport, but it proved unpublishable. Something about
 parasites and how they kill hosts.]

Bill Vajk            |  Eventually SOMEBODY's going to put SOMETHING
learn at igloo          |  I SAY in a .sig.  -Allen Gwinn