need help with modem, the saga continues

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Wed Jan 18 03:19:58 AEST 1989

According to menna at mips.COM (Randy Menna):
>Ahem, at the risk of sounding redundant, I am still experienceing
>trouble setting up a modem for dial-in capability.
>
>I have programed the modem for the following:
>	auto-answer			( after 1 ring )
>	command echo off		( ATE0 )
>	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
>	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )

One important setting that you've forgotten:  ATQ1 ("be quiet").  Without
this option, the modem talks: "OK", "ERROR", "RING", "CONNECT", etc.
Verbose modems are not conducive to error-free logins.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!