need help with modem, the saga continues

Randy Menna menna at mips.COM
Tue Jan 17 09:12:50 AEST 1989

I want to thank everyone that has responded to me, twice now, but ...
Ahem, at the risk of sounding redundant, I am still experienceing
trouble setting up a modem for dial-in capability.

To recap:

machine:
	Compac 386, running microport 3.0e

modem:
	hayes compatable.

in my inittab I have the following entry,

	m0:23:respawn:/etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400	# modem on COM1

in /etc/gettydefs I have,

	2400# B2400 OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXANY ECHO \
ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD # B2400 OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IGNPAR \
ISTRIP IXON IXANY ECHO ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD HUPCL \
#Menna & Menna\nlogin: #2400

I have programed the modem for the following:
	auto-answer			( after 1 ring )
	command echo off		( ATE0 )
	track state of data carrier	( &C1 )
	  from remote modem, "on"
	  condition indicates presence
	  of a carrier
	assumes initailzation state	( &D3 )
	  when detecting an on to off
	  DTR transition. (current settings
	  are over written with ones in
	  nvram)

modem lights on front panel that are on:
	mr	modem ready
	hs	high speed
	aa	auto answer

/dev/ttyM00 has 766 permissions, owned by root, group sys.

THE PROBLEMS I'M STILL HAVING:

    When I have the getty spawned, it appears that it still talks
    to the modem incescently.  The tx/rx lights on the front panel
    of the modem flicker.  The cd (carrier detect) light never comes
    on.

    I do not see any "login"'s are starting from the modem/computer
    interaction, (I used to see this problem), but after I while I get
    warnings on the console:

    "init: process respawning too rapidly, check for possible errors:
    /etc/getty -h -t 30 ttyM00 2400"

    The modem does not even answer the phone now, whereas before it used
    to answer but not talk.  I am getting a new modem (same model) on
    wednesday, in case due to some chance that I have a hardware problem
    with the modem.

    At this point I'm stuck, I thought that I understood what needed to
    be done and that it wouldn't be that difficult.  Can some kind soul
    out there point me in the right direction.

    Any clue's whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.  I really, really
    need to get this working. Much thanks, and my undieing gratitude if
    you can help me.

-randy
--
Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	play: 408-991-0249