386/ix Installation Woes

debula DEBULA-R at osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 19 23:31:29 AEST 1989

I recently had the time to begin installing Interactive Systems 386/ix
package (I was already running Microport 386 3.0e) on my AT&T 6386 WGS.
I have been through the manuals notes, etc. several times & I still have
a problem.  My hardware configuration is:

AT&T 6386 WGS (16Mhz -- they were on sale cheap)
WD1007-WA2 ESDI Controller
Fujitsu 2245E (103Mb ESDI drive with 25ms access)
Logitech EGA/bus mouse card
NEC Multisync II monitor (soon to become Princeton Ultrasysnc)
4Mb of memory

I seem to get as far as the "Surface Scan" just fine, but it never seems
to return from the scan.  The drive is set up with 7 heads, 823 cylinders,
35 sectors/track (hard sector with jumpers per hardware instructions &
vendor support tech person).  As I said before, the real puzzler is that
Microport 386 3.0e works just fine (perhaps I should mention that
Interactives 386/ix is also 3.0 *not* 3.2).  It also seems that Microport
386 gives me quite a bit more info on just what is going on during
install.  Any ideas? Anybody from Interactive out there?  I realize my
drive configuration is not quite the "norm" (I've only ever found one place
that sells Fujitsu hard drives & they sell 'em cheap).
Any help would be deeply appreciated.