microport 386 with > 8 megs RAM? Help.

Merlin Wilkerson merlin at mic.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 00:43:45 AEST 1989

    I would like to hear from someone running microport 386
with greater than 8 megs of RAM.

    We are using a Wedge Tech 386 with 10-1/2 megs RAM.  Neither
version 2.2L nor 3.0e will boot with more than 8 megs.  I had to go
under 8 to do the installation, modify the value of NBUF in kdef.h,
re-build the kernel, and re-install the memory.

    Just after booting, I get a kernel trap type 0x02.  The same
kernel will boot fine with < 8megs installed.  QAPLUS diagnostics
ran repeated memory test for 36 hours with no errors.  I built
kernels with NBUF = 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000, 500, 100, 50.  All kernel
trap except 50.  The kernel with NBUF = 50 runs.  But 50k buffers
is really slow.

    So If you are running microport 386 with more than 8 megs RAM,  I
would really like to hear from you.

thanks,