What Graphics Card for Microport Sys V/386?

Rock Kent rock at rancho.uucp
Sun Jan 15 15:39:40 AEST 1989

I have Microport's System V/386 running on a generic 386/20.  The ega
that came with the box, an Everex EGA, doesn't work with my Multisync
Plus in ega mode and does not work with DosMerge in ega mode.  Looking
forward to the day when there will be graphics servers written for the
console devices on small machines like mine, I've been trying out
several VGA boards.  To date, I've determined that the Video Seven
VRAM VGA and FASTWRITE VGA cards and the Paradise VGA card do not
work.  While they work wonderfully under DOS, the screen remains
absolutely blank (no cursor, no nothin') when booting into Unix.

The DosMerge docs say nothing about VGA and limit their comments on
EGA to the Vega 7, Vega Deluxe, and TeleVideo.

Anyone out there in netland having success with other cards?  I'd
particularly like to hear from anyone successfully running DosMerge
applications on a VGA card.

I vaguely remember a posting some time ago about copying the bios from
some brand of ega card into some place.  Anyone familiar with tricks
along those lines which might suffice?

Finally, given that I may have to wait to get VGA, does anyone have an
Everex EGA running on DosMerge in ega mode.  What did you do to get it
to work?

Many thanks for any help on these.