Compaq 386/25mhz bugs

SRVAC 4w400ee-John L. Karsner jlkar at pbhyf.PacBell.COM
Sun Jan 1 04:10:11 AEST 1989

I have just recently purchased two copies of SYSV/386 release 3.0L3.0e
for use on some very fast Compaq 386/25 machines.

All was quite impressive the first few days, >30% faster compiles, instantaneous
screen redraws in vi, etc ...

AND THEN

1)  I hooked up a NEC 2420/30 (2400baud) modem to port 0 and found a very
interesting little annoyance. That is, when calling into the machine from the
outer worlds and trying to log off, you can't. Well I mean you can't do it the
normal way. Upon entering ^D or exit at your prompt, this darn thing spawns
a new getty so fast that you get a login in prompt once again. The only thing
that really works and does not leave the modem hung is to logout using the
command stty 0. I called tech support and they confirmed this little bug for
me and said that they were going to have it fix't soon. Does anyone else suffer
from this??

2)  Try and run the fuser command on any Compaqs lately?? On the Compaqs fuser
is brain dead in such a way that when it is looking for processes to kill it
does not bother with swapped out ones, which they all are while this is running,
it just returns the device name and your prompt.
IE	/dev/console:
	$

Soooo  I call Microport. Twente (a technician at Microport) tells me that it is
not a bug because fuser works on all of his 286 machines. He told me to read
the manual and to basically to get lost. Angered, I placed a phone call to the
sales department and explained what happened with tech support to a
receptionist. She placed a call for me to David Lee (VP marketing).

Twente calls me back the next morning and explains that only the Compaq 386's
are having this problem and he found the bug in the code and will mail me a
copy next week.

If any of your are using fuser and having this problem, call tech support and
ask for Twente. Tell him David Lee sent you.

John Karsner
Pacific Bell
{att,sun,ames}!pacbell!pbark!jlkar

Views expressed here are strictly my own.