Submission for comp-unix-microport

The Daily Fishwrap news at tolerant.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 15:25:35 AEST 1989

From: ipc at drexel.UUCP (Image Processing Center)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport
Subject: Re: Ramdisks and microport unix
Date: 4 Jan 89 10:56:18 GMT

In article <732 at inuxh.UUCP> dyson at inuxh.UUCP (John Dyson) writes:

>the top instead of from the bottom.  Since I have an Inboard/386 and
>only 3MB of its memory is 32bits and the top of the memory is supplied
>by and Above Board, the ramdisk also keeps programs from executing from
>the slow memory.  The /unix runs in slow memory also, but I have not noticed

Does any brand of '386 unix automatically allocate it's buffers (and
maybe kernel space) starting from upper memory?  If not, can it be
made to do so?

You will find that the INBOARD works very well with bus memory if you
perform the ollowing modifications:

1) Increase the bus speed to 10mhz. This usually requires only burning
faster roms.
2) Replace the memory board with an Everex RAM 3000, which can run with
0 wait states at up to 10mhz using ordinary 120ns parts, and costs less
than $100 unpopulated.

The net improvment is to halve the access time of bus memory, according
to the following formula:

     Tnew = Told (8/10) X (2/3) = 0.533 Told

The result is that the difference in throughput will be negligible, and
you won't have to scheme about memory allocation.