Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 08:14:32 AEST 1989

From: pim at ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport,comp.unix.xenix
Subject: System V release 3.2
Date: 27 Dec 88 15:15:49 GMT

Hi Netland,

Now that Unix and Xenix will merge together into Unix System
V release 3.2. it will not matter (I suppose) whether you buy
SCO, Interactive, AT&T or some other vendor's implementation.
In either case, you will be able to run both Unix COFF binaries
as well as Xenix binaries.

But we as software developers will have to maintain production
of both the Unix and Xenix versions of our application software.
This is because not all customers will want to upgrade to either
Xenix 2.3 or Unix 3.2 and 286 owners will never be able to.
However, we would like to produce both versions on one machine.
Currently, for the Intel processors, we are supporting a Xenix 286
and a Unix 386 version of our software.

Will it be possible to produce Unix and Xenix binaries with Unix 3.2,
or otherwise, is it possible to install the Microsoft Xenix compiler
on Unix 3.2 ?

Any hints are welcome.