Submission for comp-unix-microport

UNIX-UNIX Cp uucp at tolerant.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 09:03:25 AEST 1989

From: debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.microport,comp.unix.xenix
Subject: Re: Connecting Xenix with the outside world
Date: 29 Dec 88 21:47:52 GMT

In article <3423 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> tuck at iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:
>I keep hearing people ask about ethernet and usenet, and keep seeing people
>who's Xenix system is a valid internet address.  My question is, what does
>it take to connect a Xenix system to the outside world?  We are looking at
>ethernet options, but right now we have only extension dispatched phone
>lines.  What kind of set up do people have to have so:  ONE, they may be
>mailed to at their machine from people through uucp, internet, etc and
>TWO, so they may access the usenet.

Getting onto usenet only requires a modem and some software, which as I'm
told is supplied by SCO at no cost. (you may need a better mailer than the
standard one, but archive sites carry those.)

Ethernet is a completely different story. Several companies offer "intelligent"
ethernet boards and software for Xenix, including TCP/IP, the "r"-commands
(rsh rlogin, ...) and ftp. I won't mention any names here as I don't want
to advertise any product I don't actually know.

Paul.