microport 386 with > 8 megs RAM? Help.

Michiel Betel betel at swivax.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 06:12:45 AEST 1989

>I had the same problem when I put my Compaq up to 16 Megs.
>And on a friday nite at 5:00 I was ticked, but Uport came thru and told me to
>
>/etc/patch /unix Nbuf 1024
>
>This will patch the kernel to buffer size of 1meg. You may want to play with
>that figure.

AHA, so that does the job, I just tried adding 2 Mb of 16 bits RAM to my
8 Mb Compaq and got the no-booting problem. Called uPort UK, they told me
16 & 32 bit memory don't mix well, which I found strange but well if they
wrote the driver to /dev/mem they should know shouldn't they....

Well, the patch works with 16 bits memory too, a pity I found out so late,
I just ordered a 4 Meg compaq expamsion module.

Michiel