yacc Problem on 386 based System V

Tore Solvar Karlsen tore at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 6 17:54:50 AEST 1990

In article <rob.652549702 at dutncp8>, rob at dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) writes:

> Some yacc's for 386s apear to be compiled with rather small tables (yes,
> they appear to not allocate memory dynamically... heck, even the output
> file name is fixed!).  I had this same problem a few years back with my
> Microport UNIX, at which time Microport was kind enough to offer a version
> compiled with bigger tables.  I now run Esix and have no problems with the
> table sizes anymore.
>
> My guess is that this is your 'out of space' problem:  one of the internal
> tables is full.  Perhaps you can talk your UNIX vendor into giving you a
> yacc binary compiled with bigger tables.

Yesteday, I ran into almost the same problem, trying to compile the last
version of sc (scalc).  The command "yacc -d foo.y "
failed  with an error message hinting about increasing some
buffer space with a "-Sm#" option . Anyway, changing the command to
"yacc -d -Sm10400 foo.y " made it, in this case...

The "-S" option in yacc seems not to be documented in the manfile.

OS: SCO unix 3.2 with development kit.

Perhaps someone with more experience can give an explanation.

--

Tore Solvar