yacc Problem on 386 based System V

Rob Kurver rob at dutncp8.tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 6 01:48:22 AEST 1990

In <2253 at moscom.UUCP> tcm at moscom.UUCP (Tom Maszerowski) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone has had problems with yacc on 386 machines. We
>are running UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.2 from Microsoft on a 25 Mhz
>386 PC. This is our target machine. We do most of our development on a
>Sun4 and then copy sources over to the smaller machine to build release
>software. This has not been a problem until recently when a .y file that
>yacc on the Sun handles fine bombs on the 386. The output looks like
>this:

>conflicts: 17 shift/reduce, 89 reduce/reduce

> fatal error: out of space, line 441

>conflicts: 17 shift/reduce, 89 reduce/reduce

Some yacc's for 386s apear to be compiled with rather small tables (yes,
they appear to not allocate memory dynamically... heck, even the output
file name is fixed!).  I had this same problem a few years back with my
Microport UNIX, at which time Microport was kind enough to offer a version
compiled with bigger tables.  I now run Esix and have no problems with the
table sizes anymore.

My guess is that this is your 'out of space' problem:  one of the internal
tables is full.  Perhaps you can talk your UNIX vendor into giving you a
yacc binary compiled with bigger tables.

Cheers. - Rob

Rob Kurver                          rob at dutncp8.tudelft.nl
Computational Physics Group         rob at pact.nl
Faculty of Applied Physics, Delft University of Technology
Beware of low-flying butterflies.