TALK Daemon question

Johnny Szeto szeto at aludra.usc.edu
Thu Sep 20 08:53:10 AEST 1990

I have an interesting conversation with one of my friends in Canada.
BTW, we were conversing over the 'talk' command on unix.  But somehow
I think there are some problems associated with the process.
	i) sometimes I got the mesg "target machine cannot be recognised"
	ii)other times, I got "addr has already been in use (48)"
	iii)last time it was even so frustrating: I was trying to connect
	with him while he was doing the same thing at the same time. I
	have got his talk-initiation mesg on my screen while my
	machine was pinging him!

My questions are:
why do these kinds of things happen?
is there any documentation in RFC that a simple description of the algorithm
can be found?

I have had success sometimes but I had to request so many times before
connection could be established.

Thanks in advance.

Truly,
Leung