Norton Go Home! We don't want you!

Bruce R. Larson ires at kaspar.UUCP
Fri Feb 22 04:41:30 AEST 1991

>||...like" behaviour.  Regardless, there _is_ something wrong when a foreign
>||entity (ie: NU) attaches itself to my kernel, and induces it to lie about
>||the number of free blocks on my system.  'Nuff said.

That's very funny.  Did you learn this by using the program?  Or did
someone tell you this?

I used it for a while because some clients bought it from me, hence I
will have to support it.  The number of free blocks reported always
reflected the true number of free blocks in the system.  If I had
40,000 free blocks in a file system, then I'd show about 10,000 blocks
after making three stages of gcc and cleaning everything up.
[BTW, the reason NU was turned on in a development area is because
our development area is also our user space.]

Note that I did uninstall NU as soon as I could because I was
developing habits that NO system administrator wants to develop
# rm -rf *  <CR>  /* Wait a minute,... which directory was I in?  */.
If someone is already carrying the baggage of those bad habits in from
DOS-land, then why not give it (NU) to them?  Of course, the ultimate
decision about installing NU *should* lie with the (wo)man who will
have to maintain it.

Bruce

Bruce R. Larson
Integral Resources, Milton MA
# Temporary address change below
Uucp: ..!world.std.com!kaspar.uucp!blarson
Internet:     blarson at cs.umb.edu