Questions re: HP 486 ESIA box.

Santiago Newbery newbery at stout.atd.ucar.edu
Sat Feb 9 12:11:16 AEST 1991

We have five HP Vectra EISA 486's and we are quite happy with them.
Mine is configured as follows:
8 Mb RAM, 150 Mb ESDI HD, ORCHID Pro Designer II SVGA.

I run HP's MS-DOS 4.01 and have'nt seen any compat problems w/ any
of the apps. I've run under it. HP uses Phoeinx BIOS...
All the cards that I have installed so far are 16-bit ISA and they work fine.
I have not had a chance to try any 32-bit EISA cards so far, since so
few are available. I think Mylex makes a SCSI controller.

I recently installed SCO Open Desktop 1.0.0 (which is basically SCO UNIX
System V/386 V 3.2.1 plus Xwindows and other goodies) and have had no problems
with it (at least not hardware/software incompatibilities).

By the way, if you're thinking about buying one, you should know that
the Vectras are now heavily discounted by some dealers, for commercial
accts. We got ours for $5500 (2 Mb RAM and minus VGA card).

Santiago