SCO Unix 3.2 & MS-DOS HD Partitions?

Rich Seligson rich at aggie.cyanamid.COM
Thu Jun 27 00:37:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun24.054414.27025 at dhw68k.cts.com> daveegan: @dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan - N6XVZ) writes:
>A friend of mine owns SCO Unix 3.2 [...stuff deleted...]
>
>My question is, why can't my friend boot DOS from his hard disk?  Is it
>related to the order that the operating systems are loaded?  I realize that
>FDISK (MS-DOS) changes the active partition, but I sense there's a smoother
>way of accomplishing this, such as XENIX does.

I have a similar problem.  In order to boot DOS I have to change the
active partition to my DOS partition, and then shutdown and reboot.

SCO Unix only recognizes DOS partitions for MS-DOS versions 3.3 and
earlier.  Check the version of DOS that your friend has installed.
This is true for booting and the DOS utilities (doscp, dosdir, doscat,
etc...).

This is a headache for me because I need a DOS partition > 32 MB, but
I also want Unix to recognize it.  Oh well, sacrifices must be made...

Rich

P.S. I found this documented in the "Open Desktop Release Notes" page 41