Using floppy diskettes on Sun

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Mar 16 06:23:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.170844.3504 at math.ufl.edu> wang at math.ufl.edu writes:
>Hello, you all.
>
>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station?

Emmet Gray's "mtools" package should do the job, and without the need
to mount the diskette.  Version 2.0 was posted to unix-pc.sources in
September.  It should run on most unix boxes that have anything
resembling an MSDOS compatible floppy drive as well as handling
real DOS partitions on '386 HD's and VP/ix pseudo-volumes.

I like to make "zoo" archives on the unix side, then copy these to
dos compatible diskettes for a very portable archive.  You can extract
files with the DOS version of zoo if necessary, but if you reverse
the steps to go back to a unix machine the original unix filenames
are maintained.  (Mtools does include a tool to help with the renaming,
though, if you prefer not to use zoo.)

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us