Using floppy diskettes on Sun

Budi Rahardjo rahardj at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 15 13:05:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.170844.3504 at math.ufl.edu> wang at math.ufl.edu writes:
>Is it possible, and how to transfer
>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>floppies that which can be used on PCs?

Under Sun OS 4.1.1 you can "mount" the floppy drive as "/pcfs".
After you mount it, you can treat the files (MSDOS format) as
UNIX file system. (eg: ls /pcfs .... etc.)
(Unfortunately you have to be root to mount that floppy.
Here, we are trying to wrap it with a setuid program/script so
that general users can mount/unmount it)

The other solution is to find a collection of utilities called
"mtools". For example to get the directory of an MSDOS disk
you can use "mdir" command. (Forgot the ftp address for mtools)

>I don't think files transfered
>with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

No, they're not MSDOS compatible. (Although I'm still using "tar"
to archive some of my files on the floppy)

-- budi