Vivek R Prabhu vivek at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Mar 25 18:53:03 AEST 1991

I would like to seek your help to solve a problem which I have been having
I have an AMSTRAD PC-386 machine (IBM clone) with an 80 Mb hard drive and 4 Mb
extended RAM. The model is a baby case model and hence it has an internal 3.5"
floppy drive and an external 5.25" floppy drive.
I have been trying to load the SCO-Xenix development system into my machine but
when I first tried it out the machine used to boot up from the hard disk which
already contains DOS 4.01.
Thinking that transferring the software to 3.5" from the original 5.25" set of
floppies would solve my problem I did that using a friend's system using the
commands format /dwev/rfd1135ds18 for formatting 3.5" floppies and then copied
the software into the 3.5" floppy set using the dd command as follows,
dd of=/dev/fd096ds15 of=/dev/fd1135ds18 and then tried to load the Xenix system
from the 3.5" floppies but now I get the message " Insert SYSTEM disk in drive
A : Press Any Key To Continue ", in other words the bootstrap program of the
SCO-Xenix distribution itself does not get loaded into the hard drive, thus
causing me a lot of frustration.
I have already partitioned my hard drive into 30 Mb for my DOS software and
50 Mb for the SCO-Xenix software but I am unable to force fdisk in DOS to allow
me to make a non-DOS partition active as it allows me only to make one partition
active which is DOS and it does not even display the 50 Mb space as " other
partition ", thus making it impossible for me to load Xenix onto my machine.
I tried to use the "fdisk" utility so as to make the non DOS partition active
but it does not allow me to do so and only allows the Primary DOS partition to
be made active and moreover does not even display the information of the balanc
50 Mb partition as a non-DOS partition.
I would be highly obliged if you could suggest a means of overcoming this
problem.
My e-mail address is " vivek at ecst.csuchico.edu ".
Thanking You All,
With Regards,