ndbm won't cut it, what now?

Anton Rang rang at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:43:57 AEST 1990

In article <2300 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  The secret to having multiple keys in a dbm database is to use the
>first byte as the key type. It's that easy, and works very nicely
>thanks.

  Actually, I thought the original poster meant 'multiple keys' in the
sense of one record having several access paths to it.  (For instance,
being able to retrieve employees by either last name or SSN.)  I don't
know of any *dbm package which does this; it's not designed for it.

  Dbm/ndbm/gdbm works fine if you only have one key per record and
don't need the records to be ordered; for slightly more complicated
things, there's probably public-domain code floating around.  For a
real relational DB, unless one can use University INGRES, I suspect
one would need to go the commercial route.

	Anton