PUBLIC DOMAIN RELAT. DB ? (Was ndbm won't cut it, what now?)

Steve Dahmen smd at rehder.larc.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 17 03:37:18 AEST 1990

rang at cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) wrote in "ndbm won't cut it, what now?":

>  Dbm/ndbm/gdbm works fine if you only have one key per record and
>don't need the records to be ordered; for slightly more complicated
>things, there's probably public-domain code floating around.  For a
>real relational DB, unless one can use University INGRES, I suspect
>one would need to go the commercial route.
>
>	Anton

O good People of the Net -

We here at Langley Research Center (NASA) are searching
for a robust, (fairly) well-tested
and documented relational db system to assist in the integration of a
large number of applications 'extracting' data from a common db.
We have a package that sits on top of 'any' database, providing a
nice interface to whatever package we choose.  It needs to be PD
because we share our code with a number of universitites and research
facilities, and cannot expect them to invest in ORACLE or INGRES or
what-have you.

We don't need a WHOLE lot of functionality - sorts are not critical.
Just has to handle character, integer, float, double, and variable
length arrays of each.  Desired is the ability to specify a "WHERE"
clause (ie all the records whose 3rd field is less than 50).

I have the ftp-list, but many of the names are cryptic... perhaps
indicating a db package???

Email me with any info you have, and I'll post a summary!

Thanks for your input!
Your Space Program Thanks You!    <note: this is not an official thankyou>

Steve Dahmen

--
Steve Dahmen, Systems Analyst                         (804) 864-4519 (W)
Hampton, Virginia  23665                        smd at rehder.larc.nasa.gov