Fortran compilers for SCO UNIX

Roger Cornelius rac at sherpa.UUCP
Tue Nov 27 14:22:49 AEST 1990

I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
in terms?) for SCO UNIX.  Does anyone have opinions on the various
ones available?  I'd like something that doesn't require a runtime
to execute the object files, and is fairly close to the language
standard.  I'm not really interested in the compiler manufacturer's
idea of enhancements or improvements.  I want something I can learn
with as I experiment and something which will be easy to port code
to from other systems.

As an aside, didn't UNIX originally include a fortran compiler (f77),
or is this a Berkeley enhancement?  If not, what happened to it and
why is it no longer included?

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Roger A. Cornelius          rac at sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac