Two paths for one file descriptor

Stacey Campbell staceyc at sco.COM
Thu Feb 21 04:34:36 AEST 1991

In article <3814 at wb3ffv.ampr.org> wmark at wb3ffv.ampr.org (Mark Winsor) writes:
>I need the ability within a curses based program to be able to send the
>standard output to two different terminals upon receipt of a SIGUSR1.

If you mean one process sending output to two different terminals, and
you are using System V 3.2 curses then check out the routines;

	SCREEN *newterm(type, outfd, infd)

which sets up curses for output to a new terminal, and

	SCREEN *set_term(new)

which makes curses switch to the new terminal.

>The purpose of this is to enable remote viewing via modem of what a user is
>doing WITHOUT requiring them to get out of the application. Anybody have
>any suggestions? I realize that most solutions will require that the
>local and remote terminals are the same type (which is not a problem). Any
>ideas would be appreciated.

The above solution supports terminals of different types.

p.s. it helps if people mention what operating system they are using,
a lot of BSD systems still do not provide System V curses functions
(however many proprietary BSD based systems now ship the latest System V
curses libraries).
--
                             Stacey Campbell
                        Internet: staceyc at sco.com
     UUCP: {uunet,ucscc,att,sq,altos,lotus,sun,microsoft}!sco!staceyc