Gnu-awk (gawk) memory problems under MSDOS

Daniel Barron barron at desci.wharton.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 14 13:00:00 AEST 1991

Hi!  Sorry if any of the above are inappropriate groups, please excuse.

I'm writing a Gnu-awk (gawk) script on an IBM XT with MSDOS 3.3.
It's designed to massage data from one program's output to another's
input.  Problem is, each time a line is processed, about 10-15K of
memory gets used (checked via system( "chkdsk" ) ).  After 25-30 lines
I get

xalloc: no memory!

Help!  What could make my program gobble memory?  A bad function call?
I have three small functions, but I think things are ok.  I'm using
split() a lot, if that rings any bells...I really can't think why this
is happening, but I need to fix it fast!

An earlier, less complicated version of the program doesn't act like
this.  Memory drops by about 15K after one line, but then remains
exactly the same.  This is how I thought it should act.

Any help appreciated: please E-mail barron at wharton.upenn.edu or
                                    barron at dacth01.bitnet

Thanks in advance,

Dan Barron