getting the current working directory

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Jan 17 05:50:11 AEST 1991

According to guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris):
>Note also that in the presence of various distributed file systems even
>set-UID "root" may not be enough; both NFS and RFS servers may map the
>root user-ID to some unprivileged user ID.

Just to chime in: In such environments, set-UID "root" programs have
less priviledge than the programs that call them.

I just use Doug Gwyn's getpwd() implementation.  It saves me a lot of
time and trouble.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me