Source for dump/restore/rdump/rrestore?

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Thu Jan 24 08:33:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.201918.5649 at javelin.es.com> pashdown at javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>However, this still leaves me high and dry on using the Fuji3480 for backups.
>What we would like to do now is write our own version of dump/restore/rdump/
>rrestore to use here.  Is it possible to get any source to these utilities?
>Sun said 'no' without a source license, then they happily offered to do the
>programming for us, onsite (they don't have a drive), for what would run
>about $50,000.  Does source exist anywhere in PD form?  If so, where can I
>ftp it from?

I think you can get dump/rdump from the UUNET 4.3bsd source tree.

Note that the design of dump makes it very difficult to extend to
NFS-mounted directories, so you should plan on extending rdump to support
the 3480 drive (this probably just involves recognizing the device-specific
status flags).  It accesses the partition through the raw disk device, not
through the file system system calls, but the NFS protocol only supports
file system operations.  If you want to be able to dump NFS-mounted file
systems you can use utilities such as tar (GNU tar includes some options
that are intended to support its use within a backup system) or other
3rd-party backup utilities.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com