Source for dump/restore/rdump/rrestore?

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Jan 25 06:58:29 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan23.213346.1874 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

>In article <1991Jan23.201918.5649 at javelin.es.com> pashdown at javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>However, this still leaves me high and dry on using the Fuji3480 for backups.
>>What we would like to do now is write our own version of dump/restore/rdump/
>>rrestore to use here.  Is it possible to get any source to these utilities?

>  If you want to be able to dump NFS-mounted file
>systems you can use utilities such as tar (GNU tar includes some options
>that are intended to support its use within a backup system) or other
>3rd-party backup utilities.

I use GNU tar exclusively for backing up my RS/6000's.... it supports
large block sizes, incremental dumps, stay-in-one-partition (good for
backing up / without everything under it), multi-volume archives,
sparse file compression (good for databases), reading a list of files
to archive, volume labels, interactive processing, verification,
reading a file that is a list of files to exclude, and compress-on-the-fly
(by doing a popen to compress(1))... among other things.  The distribution
also includes an implementation of rmt, the remote mag tape server....
I've not seen anything yet that comes close to it, especially for the price...
that and a couple shell scripts less than one screenful each, and I can
pop a tape in my Exabyte and leave, returning the next morning to
find my five-system subnet all appropriately backed up and (with the
help of another program with appropriate SCSI calls) the tape
out of the drive.

-- Glenn R. Stone (gs26 at prism.gatech.edu, glenns at eas.gatech.edu)
There are no dress rehearsals.  We ARE professionals, and this IS the Big Time.