Input from another tty

Tom DeCanio decanio at shadow
Tue Jan 29 10:44:56 AEST 1991

You write:
>        I was wondering if there was a special command that I had to use
>to have a program of mine - when I run it - accept input from another
>terminal?  I have tried many times with different forms of:

>        read ANW < /dev/dk???
>
>        while (true) do
>        cat (filename)
>        done&
>        (then have the other terminal write to (filename)
>

>I think that what I'll have to do, is to setup a  sub-routine to always
>check a set file for new input and then grep the info in that file.

That may depend upon what type of device "/dev/dk???" you are attempting
to read from.  The only device I am familiar with that go by that name
are Datakit/ISN devices.  If so these devices are usually not hard wired
and aren't automatically available to be read/written upon open.  You
must do through a call setup sequence first.

Tom