CRASH your TANDEM : was : RE : How do you make your UNIX crash

Berny Goodheart berny at tndsyd.oz.au
Tue Mar 19 00:40:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.202237.23294 at ugle.unit.no>, halvard at spurv.runit.sintef.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:
> did you fellas read the signature to this guy ???
>  i mean : he works for tandem computers - so the reason why he asks for how to crash 'your UNIX' should be obvious ???   ;^)

Ah but is it? In fact, I am collecting this information for a book I am
writing about Fault Tolerant UNIX. Incidentally, this is a Prentice Hall
project not a TANDEM one. However, I must say all this information
will be passed back to our labs to analyse, full marks for being a-lert though!

> so next question - how do you make a tandem computer running UNIX
> crash ...
It's real simple, in real terms (that is in normal operation) you can't!!!!.
The Tandem Integrity-S2 has been specifically built to withstand any
"single point of failure" but if one want's to be malicious
then you could log in as root and cat /etc/termcap > /dev/kmem and bingo!!.

See you in alt.flame!!

Berny Goodheart
(Asia/Pacific Technical consultant for UNIX Systems)