CRASH your TANDEM : was : RE : How do you make your UNIX crash

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Fri Mar 15 17:07:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.202237.23294 at ugle.unit.no>
halvard at spurv.runit.sintef.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:
>did you fellas read the signature to this guy ???
> i mean : he works for tandem computers - so the reason why he asks for how
> to crash 'your UNIX' should be obvious ???   ;^)

> .===========================================================================.
> |   ACSnet: berny at tndsyd.oz       UUCP: uunet!munnari.oz!tndsyd.oz.au!berny |
> | INTERNET: berny at tndsyd.oz.au  DOMAIN: goodheart_berny at tandem.com          |
> |   PSMAIL: smtpgate @comm(berny at tndsyd.oz@munnari.oz.au)                   |
> TANDEM Computers Incorporated 76 Berry St, North Sydney, NSW, 2060, Australia

Um, yes; Tandem's business is  high-availability computing.

>so next question - how do you make a tandem computer running UNIX
>crash ...

The answer to that question would probably be more interesting
to "this guy" than would answers about other computers.  I talked
to a couple of Tandem engineers after USENIX this January.  They
bragged that their systems failed the SVVS (requiring waivers)
because some tests to invoke PANIC messages didn't work; Tandem
UNIX doesn't crash under some of the conditions expected by AT&T.

The more ways they find to crash their own computers, the happier
they'll be.  They'll identify more problems they can solve in the
lab rather than in the field.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000