How to time a process?

Kevin Owen kevino at hpcc01.HP.COM
Thu Mar 14 11:48:27 AEST 1991

It's about time...

I am looking for a way to measure real, user and sys time for a given Unix
process. The "time" command appears to do what I want except it writes it's
output to stderr.  I need the results either on stdout or in a file.  I cannot
redirect stderr because the procees I am timing also writes to stderr and I
cannot merge the two outputs.

Should I write a C program using times() or is there a way to get /bin/time
to send it's output other than to stderr?  Some sample code on the use of
times() (or similar function) would be very helpful as I am somewhat of a
novice when it comes to using Unix system calls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

 _   ,                   __                 Kevin Owen @ Hewlett-Packard
' ) /                   / ')                Sunnyvale, California
 /-<   _ , __o  ____   /  / , , , _  ____   Phone :    (408) 720-3845
/   ) </_\/ <__/ / <  (__/ (_(_/_</_/ / <_  UN*X Mail  ...hplabs!hpcc01!kevino