Help needed with metaconfig (dist) package.

Augustine Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Wed Mar 13 15:10:07 AEST 1991

Hello one and all,

I'm trying to write a portable package using the metaconfig program, written
by Larry Wall.  I have tried a very simple *.U unit with one *.SH file.
Metaconfig goes through a lot of work, but ends up producing an empty
Configure script and an empty config.h.SH.  Re-reading the available
documentation provides no further hints.  I have looked at *.SH files in
trn and other packages and the *.U files distributed with the package but
the reason for the empty files still eludes me.

Wnat am I missing?  Can someone provide examples of an *.SH file *with*
its associated *.U file?  I gather that more than one shell variable can
be set with multiple questions in one *.U file.  Logically when the
associated *.SH file is executed at configuration time, based on the values
entered in response to the configuration questions, the appropriate
shell script or "here-document" code should be output.  This is what I
would like to do: based on questions in a *.U file, the associated *.SH
file would generate the appropriate code; one *.U file and one *.SH
file per logically separate group of routines.  The docs only say
something like "copy a similar unit to your private U directory and
modify it".  No telling what can be removed and what can't.  I'm sure
that my ?MAKE, ?C:, ?S: and ?H: lines are all screwed up.

Please help!!!

BTW, I'm talking about dist 2, at the latest patchlevel, which is
nonetheless quite obsolete.  I'll summarize if there's interest, but
please respond via e-mail.  Most of my newsfeed has been interrupted
upstream due to HW problems.  I can post but only get a very few groups.
Also, apologies if some of these groups are not appropriate for this
posting, but I didn't find a newsgroup dedicated to metaconfig.

Thanks in advance.

Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc