help to new C programmer with time.h

Jon J Thaler DOCTORJ at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Mar 2 15:46:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.165132.7053 at athena.mit.edu>, scs at adam.mit.edu (Steve
Summit) says:

>Surprisingly enough, the functions time() and ctime() (as well as
>asctime, localtime, gmtime, and the new, more flexible strftime),
>*are* in the ANSI C Standard, X3.159.  (See section 4.12 .)
>Therefore, these functions *should* be used in C programs which
>wish to manipulate dates and times, in preference to the redundant,
>system-specific, nonportable alternatives several vendors
>incongruously provide.

My usual computing environment is more-or-less system specific (VMS), but
multi-language (C and Fortran).  I find that in this situation DEC's
nonportable, but language independent time functions are far more useful.
                              Jon Thaler